Thursday, September 11, 2008

In the United StatesPatriot Day occurs on September 11 of each year, designated in memory of the nearly three thousand who died in the September 112001attacks. Most Americans refer to the day as "Nine-Eleven (9/11)," "September 11th," "Nine-one-one," or some variation thereof.

U.S. House of Representatives Joint Resolution 71 was approved by a vote of 407-0 on October 25,2001. It requested that the President designate September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day." PresidentGeorge W. Bush signed the resolution into law on December 182001 (as Public Law 107-89). It is a discretionary day of remembrance.

Initially, the day was called the National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims Of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001.

On September 42002, President Bush used his authority created by the resolution and proclaimedSeptember 112002, as Patriot Day. He has continued to make similar declarations every year since.

On this day, the President directs that the American flag be flown at half-staff and displayed from individual American homes, at the White House, and on all U.S. government buildings and establishments, home and abroad. The President also asks Americans to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 A.M. (Eastern Daylight Time) marking the first plane crash on September 11, 2001.

Some countries have also shared Patriot Day with the U.S. as well.


  The above was taken from wikipedia.  My question to you...do you remember where you were?  Do you remember how you felt on 9/11 and for the days to follow?  I do, very strongly.  It was a day our lives changes for ever.  not only in America, it had a great impact on the world.  I could get into a great rambling about political views, but choose not to.  That is not what today is about that.  The day is not about me or you, it is for those who died that terrible day.  The innocent people in the towers who never saw it coming.  Our brave firefighters and police officers who went in to rescue people.  Knowing at the moment they entered, there was a chance they would not exit.





My heart ached (and still aches) for Our Country and the families and friends of all that were lost.  

Although I did not meet my husband until two years after that day, there have still been a couple times he has told me he wanted to go over and do his part.  He has seen war before, it's not a pretty site.  But he wants to defend Our GREAT Country!  I remember how much my heart sank and I just wanted to cry out NO!  Yet, I have tremendous respect for his dedication and knew from day 1 this day may come.  So I smiled bravely and confirmed what he already knew - I will support you!

I was fortunate he was not able to go.  But to all the friends and family of our service me & women that have gone ~ thank you, thank you, thank you!  And God bless you!

And for those that do not have intimate  contact with service people that have been there and seen it first hand ~ all I ask is you do not believe all the media bias that airs.  We are making a difference, we are NOT losing, we are not there to take over and it's not about the oil.  And today is not the day for us to question the whys, it's a day to be grateful that there are so many men and women willing to defend us and keep the battles off our soil!

4 comments:

movefearlessly said...

i remember it like it was yesterday - beautiful post. thanks for sharing it.

Jen U said...

Beautiful post, thanks so much for sharing that. I posted about my 9-11 experience last year but I linked to it again in my post today. I will never forget that day, who could? It was our generations' Pearl Harbor. I saw a special on the Discovery channel this weekend that focused on the Pentagon and I was grateful that I got to see that because I didn't know much of what had happened there, we mostly only hear stories about the WTC. I think I'm going to add this little bit to my post, anyways, thank you so much for sharing this today *hugs* :)

Angie (mighty-nice) said...

Love your post - especially the last paragraph. Nicely said! Visiting from IL via the DST blog train - come find me here: htpp://isladeangela.wordpress.com/

Tammy said...

Thanks for the wonderful post about 9/11 and thank your husband for serving our great country. And thank goodness we have a President that wants to keep our country free from anymore of these attacks.

My husand was a firefighter for 32 years and the day this happened, we weren't married yet and having a long distance relationship, and as we were talking on the phone he started to cry. I asked what was wrong and he said, all those firemen will never return. I never thought about how our first responders never thinking about what might happen, but just the idea of what they had to do to save lives. I thank God for them everyday.

I am a Navy baby from long ago and my father served with the Navy for 20 years. So I take my hat off to you for standing by a military man and for keeping his family going during his times away. Thank you.